Port of Charleston Location & InformationThe Port of Charleston, originally built in 1682 has been a backbone for the city of Charleston and has a long and unique history playing an important part of World War II and an even more important harbor for its citizens.
Port of Charleston is a beautiful and historic port!
Overview of the Port of Charleston Terminal
The Port of Charleston, is located in downtown Charleston in the heart of the historic district. In Pre-Revolutionary War times, Charleston was the seat of British rule and the cultural capital of the New World. Charleston, South Carolina has long been regarded as one of America's top travel destinations. It was named the #1 City in the U.S. by Conde Nast Traveler. It is know for its history, natural beauty and southern charm. Enjoy a day on one of the many popular beaches, historic plantations, world-class golf courses, museums or many other wonderful attractions.
The Port of Charleston's cruise ship terminal is called Union Pier and it opened in 1913 and was further modernized in 1973. Future plans for the pier to be relocated are currently under discussion. Carnival Cruise Lines currently home-ports at the Port of Charleston with their ships Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Sunshine and Carnival Fantasy. Other ships that have used the port are Queen Elizabeth 2, Queen Mary 2, the Norway, the Majesty of the Seas and the Meridian. Popular destinations for passengers setting out from Port of Charleston include the Bahamas, Bermuda and Eastern and Western Caribbean.
Information and Location for Union Pier
- Port of Charleston is located on the Wando River in the city of Charleston. The port currently consists of 5 terminals with a 6th to be finished construction is 2018. The Wando Welch Terminal, the Columbus Street Terminal, the North Charleston Terminal and the Veterans Terminal are all used for cargo shipping.
- Union Pier on Washington Street, Charleston, SC, United States is a cruise ship terminal on the east bank of the Wando River. It can house one vessel at a time.
- It takes approx. 30 minutes to arrive at Union Pier Terminal from the Charleston International Airport.
- All passengers arrive at Union Pier Terminal to begin their check-in. The main entry for passengers arriving on their own is Gate #2, at the intersection of Concord St. and Laurens St. The exact address for Gate 2 is 280 Concord St.
- Passengers being dropped by taxi, hotel limousine, and charter bus transportation enter through the Main Gate which is located at 32 Washington St. This entry is marked specifically for taxi and bus access.
- All passengers must pass through security and need a valid ticket and government issued photo ID. All minors much be accompanied by a legal parent or guardian.
- Union Pier offers a shuttle service from the terminal to the cruise ship. There are a fleet of ground handlers to assist all passengers.
- The convenient parking lot is a short distance from the terminal and is available exclusively to cruise ship passengers and is patrolled by Port Police to provide a safe parking experience. The port offers complimentary shuttles from the parking lot directly to and from the entry door of the cruise terminal.
Please check in with the Union Pier website for all cruise scheduling information and any other questions. Make sure to book your parking spot with Instapark, the best, most convenient parking experience.
Don't forget to book your parking spot with Instapark right now!